Saturday, January 17, 2015

Reading and Life: Individual Results May Vary

It's no secret that no two people are exactly alike. What works for one person might not work as well for someone else, what one person loves another might hate, and so on. We've all heard it before. I love hot-air-balloons and mac&cheese. You might be afraid of heights and lactose intolerant. When I study, I like to have classical or instrumental music playing. You might like heavy metal music or even absolute silence. This is the beauty of humanity: the one thing we all have in common is that no one is like anyone else on this earth.

Unfortunately, these vast differences can cause....challenges, particularly for educators and other people who would help us learn. I am not a future teacher, but I still think these differences are important to note no matter what field you work in. In Reading in Content Areas, we will focus largely on the differences in individuals in the way they read and how to encourage people not only to read, but to read better, to find a way that lets them learn all they can from the words in front of their face. Like in any university course, and like anything else life, my and my classmate's individual results may vary, because we are all a little different. But hey, that's what makes the adventure so much fun.

You have been warned.


No comments:

Post a Comment